Wednesday 7 September 2011

Not too thrilled by the Booker shortlist...

... because the only two books I'd read from the longlist, both of which I didn't like at all, have both been shortlisted.* The culprits are Jamrach's Menagerie by Carol Birch, which I blogged about here, and Pigeon English by Stephen Kelman. I'm glad to see the Julian Barnes on there, and disappointed that Barry and Hollingshurst have been omitted, for the purely lazy reason that those are the three books I would like to read anyway. Other thoughts?

PS Posting more frequently has failed for the time being due to a lack of internet access in my new flat, but I should have full reviews of Last Man In Tower by Aravind Adiga and How To Paint A Dead Man by Sarah Hall coming up.

*This is particularly annoying because usually when I have read books from the longlist they are never shortlisted, leaving me with the full six still to read if I want to have a go at pretend-judging it.

No comments:

Post a Comment