Thursday 8 January 2015

I Want to Read in 2015...

Already Published

Station Eleven - Emily St John Mandel
I like the look of this post-apocalyptic novel about art and a modern plague.

The People of Forever Are Not Afraid - Shani Boianjiu
This featured on an Orange Prize longlist a couple of years back, I think. It focuses on female Israeli teenagers who are drafted into the army, and I liked the opening when I read it in the bookshop.

Do No Harm: Stories of Life, Death and Brain Surgery - Henry Marsh
Feeding my ongoing obsession with medicine.

Being Mortal - Atul Gawande
See above.

H is for Hawk - Helen MacDonald
An obvious selection, but one that I am very keen to read, especially as I love the more modern take on nature/landscape writing.

Common People - Alison Light
OK, as a C20th British historian, I have to read this anyway, but I'm genuinely looking forward to Light's history of her own unexceptional family.

We Should All Be Feminists - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
I loved Adichie's take on feminism, race and intersectionality in Americanah, and I can't wait to read this short book, based on one of her TED talks, as so much popular writing on feminism is so rubbish, and I feel confident this won't be.

The Peripheral - William Gibson
I felt up for a bit of confusing SF, and everyone seems to agree that this book is confusing.

I Refuse - Per Petterson
Set in the far north and exploring how we experience time... this sounds like it might tick a lot of boxes for me, and I've been wanting to try Petterson's work for ages.


Upcoming

The Buried Giant - Kazuo Ishiguro

It's Ishiguro's first novel since Never Let Me Go!

10:04 - Ben Lerner
I thought that Leaving the Atocha Station was a breath of fresh air, so am looking forward to this follow-up.

The Wolf Border - Sarah Hall
A new Sarah Hall novel about wolves and ecology? A definite.

I Saw A Man - Owen Sheers
Owen Sheers does not write enough prose. I was glad to see he's decided to write more of it.

2 comments:

  1. Station Eleven has to be a 2015 read for me too - so many best of lists! - and definitely The Wolf Border. I'd add Kate Atkinson's A God in Ruins to the new books list. I can't wait for that.

    I loved H is for Hawk (it should have been on my best of list, but I hadn't finished it when I wrote that) and We Should be Feminists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a bit wary of Kate Atkinson at the moment as I had a similar reaction to Life After Life as you seem to have had to the Bone Clocks - a lot of people whose opinions I respect, both in real life and in blog world, loved it, but I hated it! However, I did enjoy Behind the Scenes at the Museum so I should perhaps give her another chance.

    ReplyDelete