Thursday 3 November 2011

Five books

A meme borrowed from Elaine at Random Jottings, who borrowed it from Simon at Stuck in A Book...

The book I am currently reading

The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides. I'm only about 75 pages in and it feels almost too familiar, although I was not at an American university in the 1980s. I should not read books about university students...

Last book I finished

Run by Ann Patchett. This was very good, although not quite as plot-driven and hence not quite as gripping as State of Wonder, which I think is going to come in as one of my top ten books of 2011.

Next book I want to read

Nightwoods by Charles Frazier. Thanks to Amazon for the free copy via the Vine programme. I enjoyed Cold Mountain, but have not read his second novel, so this third should be an intriguing read.

Last book I was given

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. Normally, no-one ever dares to give me books because I have always read them or have an opinion on them. This offering was from my brave friend Peter for my birthday. I'm looking forward to trying a Steinbeck other than Of Mice and Men or The Pearl.

Last book I bought

The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obrecht. Or more accurately book-swapped for. I don't think I will enjoy this, sadly, but it's for a reading group and I wanted to see what the hype was about. It just doesn't sound like my sort of thing.

Do pass this on if you fancy trying it!

No comments:

Post a Comment