2. The Goldfinch - Donna Tartt
3. A Girl Is A Half-Formed Thing - Eimear McBride
4. The Lowland - Jhumpa Lahiri
5. Burial Rites - Hannah Kent
6. The Undertaking - Audrey Magee
I think this is the strongest shortlist I have ever read for any prize; certainly stronger than this year's Booker shortlist. As I mentioned in one of my reviews, I've never read a shortlist where I felt all the books had deserved to be longlisted, but that is the case here. I would be genuinely happy for any of my top four choices to take the prize, and I think McBride may win it.